01 December 2010

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life! -Samuel Johnson


 This is my first official blog post. After much persuasion from my professors and friends, I decided to blog. I probably won't do this often because quite frankly, I'm not that interesting and neither is my life. I'm just a 30 something broad working on a Masters in Media and Communications.
 What brought me to London? Glad you asked! Well I have an undergraduate degree in English. Being an English major, I had to learn about the British, their history, their poets, their play writers, their authors and everything else. So I started to develop this obsessive love affair for Britain. I would sit in my 19th Century British Literature class and dream of being over there. I would dream of walking down the same streets as Shakespeare. I wanted to be in the same country where my hero, Emily Bronte, lived and died. I wanted to be where Christina Rossetti would write her poetry. Tennyson, Byron, Shelley, Wordsworth and others that I admired and loved.  It was all quite weird honestly. Here I am....a black chick studying at a historically black college dreaming of going to England?? When I presented the idea to my family and friends, I got weird looks and smirks. No one believe me when I said I was going to come here. I didn't know how or when but I was going to be in England. No matter what!
  So one of my professors (shout out to Dr. Steele) suggested that I think of attending graduate school overseas. She spent some time studying in England and enjoyed it and thought maybe I would enjoy the experience. I had looked into other means of getting to London besides school because quite frankly, I hate school. But with the strict immigration laws of the British land, I had to settle on going to school which was the easiest way for me to get here. Fast forward......after applying to different schools, choosing what I wanted to study and all that jazz, I was able to get here. The visa process was a pain and nerve wracking, the loan process was hell, finding an affordable place to live in London was absolute shit! But alas....I made it! I'm here! London for all it's faults of being expensive, dirty, cold, busy and basically a shit hole is one of the most beautiful places ever! Sure the people aren't overly friendly like Americans but they are polite and helpful. Coming from Arkansas, I am use to sunshine and warm weather and friendly smiles. I don't get that in London. But that's ok because I feel so blessed to be here! It was hard work to get here. No one believed me. But I'm here! **Sigh**
  The fish and chips are awesome, the full English breakfasts are amazing!! (who knew having french fries/chips with breakfast was so good)? I can't get with the beans on toast. I'm sorry. I just absolutely cannot do it. Not if I were paid to eat it. I am beginning to like Soccer (football). I think I should become an Arsenal fan. They are in North London and so am I. See how logic works here?? Calling elevators lifts is different and calling cookies biscuits is....um.....weird?? But I'm getting use to it. It's cool. It really  is!
  I guess in this blog I'll talk about everything that I'm going through? I don't know how this blog thing works. I'm doing this to have a diary of some sort. I won't write everything. I mean, I have parents and professors that I dare not embarrass! But I'll post as much as I can!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the experience alone is worth all the hard work that you had to put in for this to come to pass. I remember you from Southwest Middle School and when I think back about our fellow students there and how we basically had know clue about this thing called life, its really good to hear about people who are actually experiencing some of the things that we dared to dream back then. Your blog will surely inspire others to step outside the box. Believe that!

LRGirl said...

Thank you so much for saying that! I appreciate your words.

American Black Chick in Europe said...

Ok, not gonna lie I couldn't get with the beans on toast thing at first either...but now I'm a convert. It's surprisingly good in a I-can't-believe-I'm-eating-beans-this-early-in-the-morning sort of way. I still can get with the dipping of "bacon" (ham) into egg yolk though. I refuse.

sassylove said...

Your blog rocks. I loved it. it's really open and honest. I can now understand and feel your passion that you have for what you are doing. I must admit I was very skeptical about this London adventure, but I have changed my mind. I think it is awesome how you are following your dream and i am very proud of you. I wish i had the guts to do something like that. You know, my fear is keeping me from going somewhere i truly dream of going,Africa. But now you have inspired me to get over it and someday pursue that goal. Great Job Sis.love ya

LRGirl said...

ABCinEurope, I refuse to do beans on toast. My friend who is also America, says she couldn't get with it but now she loves it and says once I try it, I love it too. Nooooooooooo, I don't think so. I don't eat eggs so I can't say about the dipping of the ham in yoke but it doesn't sound tasty either! LOL!
@Sassylove, thank you so much mystery person! lol! Please please please pursue your dream of going to Africa! Why are you fearful? Girl, you better place that fear on God's shoulders(or whoever you pray too) and get going! Your desire to go is stronger than your fear. I hope you do. Thank you for reading my blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey doll
my laptop battery is dying but as promised i am visiting your blog and quickly commenting before it dies.

Am so happy for you! I look forward to reading your blogs more often. I have always loved England and most everything about the place.

I believe am the biggest anglophile ever, i watch my corrie soap weekly.

here in bahamas we call cookies biscuits because we were a british colony until 1973 but i can imagine the its weird.

--Tamara